Sunday, February 22

Blog

Hurricane Milton: ‘There’s going to be loss of life’ – Florida reporter
World News

Hurricane Milton: ‘There’s going to be loss of life’ – Florida reporter

Photo: AFP / Miguel J. Rodriguez Carrillo A local journalist hunkered down in Florida's Tampa Bay said he's never seen anything like Hurricane Milton, and was "scared for the aftermath". Kirby Wilson, a reporter at Tampa Bay Times, had remained in the area and said he and his family were doing OK so far. It was going to be tough "for the foreseeable future," he said, "but we're hanging in". Many people in the area had not been ordered to evacuate. Tampa Bay Times reporter Kirby Wilson Photo: Tampa Bay Times / Supplied "A lot of it is perfectly safe from the kind of floodwater we're expecting... I know a lot of people have an image of Florida as a state that will one day be entirely submerged, but it does take a lot of water to overcome some of even the mild high points. "I decided ...
Tributes pour in from industry titans
Business

Tributes pour in from industry titans

Ratan Tata speaks during an interview.Pradeep Gaur | Mint | Getty Images Tributes from industry leaders, politicians and the public at large poured in for Ratan Tata, the former chairman of India's Tata Sons, who passed away on Wednesday, aged 86.India's Prime Minister Narendra Modi in a post on X called Tata "a visionary business leader, a compassionate soul and an extraordinary human being ... his contribution went far beyond the boardroom."Google and Alphabet CEO Sundar Pichai recalled his meeting with Tata where they discussed Google's self-driving car project."He leaves an extraordinary business and philanthropic legacy and was instrumental in mentoring and developing the modern business leadership in India," Pichai wrote on X.Tata, who is credited with taking his business house globa...
Trudeau’s national security adviser says there are no ‘traitors’ in Parliament – National
Politics

Trudeau’s national security adviser says there are no ‘traitors’ in Parliament – National

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s national security advisor said she has not seen evidence that federal politicians are “traitors” through their dealings with foreign governments. Speaking at the Hogue commission into foreign interference Wednesday, Nathalie Drouin suggested a recent report by a cross-partisan national security committee gave the mistaken impression that some MPs were betraying their country.“The fact that (the report) focused on members of Parliament and thus gave the impression that some MPs might have been aware and might have acted in a way that is close to treason makes me very uncomfortable. Because that’s not what I see,” Drouin, a longtime public servant appointed Trudeau’s National Security and Intelligence Advisor in January, said.“I’ve seen inappropriate behaviour...
Watch: Judith Collins faces questions amid conflicting reports about Manawanui leak
World News

Watch: Judith Collins faces questions amid conflicting reports about Manawanui leak

Defence Minister Judith Collins has lashed out at what she calls "deeply misogynist" comments about the sinking of the HMS Manawanui and its captain, Commander Yvonne Gray. Collins said that Gray has been attacked online since the sinking of the ship off the coast of Samoa over the weekend. Collins said a "deeply concerning misogynist narrative reared its head before our people had even made it home to New Zealand." Collins said a Court of Inquiry has been already planned to examine the cause of the wreck. "The one thing that we already know did not cause it was the gender of the ship's captain, a woman with 30 years of naval experience who made the call to get her people to safety. "I'm appalled to see the comments online from these armchair admirals, people who will never have to make de...
Pfizer’s former CEO and CFO break from Starboard’s activist campaign
Business

Pfizer’s former CEO and CFO break from Starboard’s activist campaign

Ian Read, chairman and chief executive officer of Pfizer, speaks as President Donald Trump, left, listens during an announcement on a new pharmaceutical glass packaging initiative in the Roosevelt Room of the White House in Washington, D.C., July 20, 2017. Andrew Harrer | Bloomberg | Getty ImagesFormer Pfizer CEO Ian Read and ex-CFO Frank D'Amelio said Wednesday evening that they would step away from Starboard Value's campaign at the struggling pharmaceutical giant, just days after news of the activist's stake broke.Read and D'Amelio said they were "fully supportive" of Pfizer CEO Albert Bourla in a joint statement made via an investment bank and confirmed to be authentic. The duo had been in contact with a number of directors shortly before news of Starboard's stake broke Sunday evening, ...
Ex-chief of staff to public safety minister denies stalling spy warrant approval – National
Politics

Ex-chief of staff to public safety minister denies stalling spy warrant approval – National

OTTAWA – A former chief of staff to a Liberal public safety minister has denied suggestions she worked to stall approval of a spy service warrant in early 2021 because it directly touched the operations of the Trudeau government. Zita Astravas called the allegation “categorically false” during testimony late Wednesday at a federal inquiry into foreign interference.The inquiry has heard that it took 54 days for the Canadian Security Intelligence Service warrant application to be approved by Bill Blair, public safety minister at the time.The average turnaround time for such applications is four to 10 days.Michelle Tessier, CSIS deputy director of operations during the period, has told the inquiry there was frustration with the delay.A timeline tabled at the inquiry says Astravas attended a b...
Trump rejects Fox News invite to debate Harris in late October
World News

Trump rejects Fox News invite to debate Harris in late October

By Kanishka Singh, Reuters Donald Trump has refused to debate Kamala Harris again. Photo: AFP / SAUL LOEB Republican former President Donald Trump said he will not debate Democratic Vice President Kamala Harris, hours after Fox News invited the two presidential contenders to participate in a possible second debate on either 24 or 27 October. Trump and Harris debated each other for the first time on 10 September. Trump has said there would not be another debate before the 5 November US time election. He rejected a past invitation from CNN for an 23 October debate, accepted by Harris. Trump and Harris face each other in what polls show to be a tight race for the 5 November US elections. In its statement, Fox said a second debate "would present an opportunity for each candidate to make ...
Transpower probe may open way for compensation over pylon debacle
Business

Transpower probe may open way for compensation over pylon debacle

The pylon that fell on 20 June, disrupting power supply to parts of Northland. Photo: Transpower The Electricity Authority has confirmed it is investigating national grid operator Transpower following the collapse of a pylon earlier this year - potentially opening the door to compensation for power users. The investigation was revealed by Northland MP Grant McCallum during Wednesday's announcement of a $1 million fund, set up by Transpower and its contractor Omexom, to support projects with long-term benefits for Northland's economy. McCallum described it as a "goodwill payment" rather than compensation, which neither company was legally required to pay. From left: Northland MP Grant McCallum, Transpower's acting chief executive John Clarke, and Mayor Vince Cocurrulo at the presentat...
Watch live: Judith Collins faces questions amid conflicting reports about Manawanui leak
World News

Watch live: Judith Collins faces questions amid conflicting reports about Manawanui leak

Defence Minister Judith Collins is set to speak about 2pm. We will be livestreaming the press conference at the top of this page. Defence Minister Judith Collins has lashed out at what she calls "deeply misogynist" comments about the sinking of the HMS Manawanui and its captain, Commander Yvonne Gray. Collins said that Gray has been attacked online since the sinking of the ship off the coast of Samoa over the weekend. Collins said a "deeply concerning misogynist narrative reared its head before our people had even made it home to New Zealand." Collins said a Court of Inquiry has been already planned to examine the cause of the wreck. "The one thing that we already know did not cause it was the gender of the ship's captain, a woman with 30 years of naval experience who made the call to get ...
How to get renewable energy from our wastewater ponds
Business

How to get renewable energy from our wastewater ponds

First published on By Faith Jeremiah The wastewater treatment plant at Akaroa. Photo: Supplied/Christchurch City Council New Zealand is confronting a perfect storm. Its energy grid faces three pressing challenges at once: an unreliable electricity supply, strict emissions reduction targets and ongoing environmental issues related to wastewater ponds. As the country prepares to meet growing energy demands, the variability of wind, solar and hydroelectric power has made year-round electricity generation hard to ensure. Compounding the issue are New Zealand's emissions targets and avoidable emissions from wastewater treatment plants. We need immediate, practical solutions. One lies hidden within our wastewater systems. Three challenges, one solution In the search for ...